On November 23, 2016, Sun Life Financial Inc. announced that Melissa Kennedy, Executive Vice-President, Chief Legal Officer & Public Affairs, was named one of Canada’s Most Powerful Women. Melissa is being recognized for her exceptional leadership in helping Sun Life advance its sustainability strategy and meet client needs by building sustainable, healthier communities for life, and championing diversity and inclusion at Sun Life and within the Canadian legal community.
“Melissa has an outstanding record of achievement over her 25 year career and I am proud to have her on our Executive Team at Sun Life,” said Dean Connor, President & CEO, Sun Life Financial. “She has helped Sun Life build strong governance policies and sustainability initiatives to meet the changing needs of clients, investors and other stakeholders, resulting in external recognition of our global leadership in these areas.”
Key achievements in sustainability include:
- 2016 Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in the World – top ranked North American insurer
- Named one of Canada’s Best Corporate Citizens of 2016
- Recognized with the 2015 Ethical Boardroom Best Corporate Governance award – Financial Services – North America
- Ranked #1 in The Globe and Mail Report on Business’ 2015 Board Games
- Included as a constituent of the FTSE4Good Index since its inception
- Standard & Poor’s Long Term Value Creation Global Index – one of only twelve Canadian companies selected
Launched in 2003, the Canada’s Most Powerful Women: Top 100 Award recognizes exceptional women leaders who contribute to advancing the societal and professional landscape for future generations. Since its inception, the WXN has celebrated over 900 women and their many accomplishments.
About Sun Life Financial
Sun Life Financial is a leading international financial services organization providing a diverse range of protection and wealth products and services to individuals and corporate customers. Sun Life Financial has operations in a number of markets worldwide, including Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Hong Kong, the Philippines, Japan, Indonesia, India, China, Australia, Singapore, Vietnam, Malaysia and Bermuda. As of September 30, 2016, the Sun Life Financial group of companies had total assets under management of $908 billion.